This Swirled Matcha Bowl Is the Best New Way to Eat a Smoothie
Whip up this raspberry and banana smoothie bowl with a swirl of matcha for a healthy dose of fruit, fiber, and natural energy.
If you're a fan of smoothies and matcha lattes, we have the perfect breakfast recipe for you. This homemade matcha bowl features the trendy, antioxidant-rich green tea matcha powder for a boost of flavor-and energy-to get your morning started right. (Related: This Homemade Matcha Latte Is Just As Good As the Coffee Shop Version)
If you've yet to try matcha, fear not-fiber-rich, heart-healthy raspberries are the star of this smoothie bowl so you won't be overwhelmed by any earthy green flavor. You'll also add frozen bananas for some creamy, ice cream-like texture and vanilla Greek yogurt for a protein boost. (Related: The Mocha Chip Banana Ice Cream You Can Have for Dessert or Breakfast)
But this matcha bowl is not complete without a matcha swirl. Combine some matcha powder with hot water, then add creamy almond butter for some healthy fat, as well as a bit of honey to balance out the matcha with a little sweetness.
Top the matcha bowl off with a handful of fresh raspberries and a sprinkle of hemp hearts, or customize it with your own toppings. From chia seeds and chocolate chips to blueberries and banana slices, the possibilities are endless. (Can't get enough of smoothie bowls? Try These 10 Better-For-You Bowls.)
Raspberry Matcha Bowl with Almond Butter Swirl
Makes 1 matcha bowl
For the smoothie:
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 tablespoon hemp hearts
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
Optional toppings: fresh raspberries, additional hemp hearts, and an almond butter drizzle
For the matcha swirl:
- 1 teaspoon matcha green tea powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 tablespoon creamy almond butter
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Place matcha powder in a small bowl. Add hot water and whisk together with a fork until smooth. Allow it to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the matcha bowl by combining frozen raspberries and banana, Greek yogurt, almond milk, hemp hearts, and vanilla in a high-powered blender or food processor. Blend until mixture is mostly smooth, then pour into a bowl.
- Add almond butter and honey to matcha mixture. Stir it vigorously with a fork. The mixture should be thick and creamy.
- Swirl matcha mixture into the smoothie with a spoon. Top with fresh raspberries and a sprinkle of hemp hearts, or with whatever toppings you'd like. Enjoy immediately.