These Pumpkin Banana Oat Breakfast Cookies Taste Just Like Dessert
Because it's officially September—and who doesn't want to start their day with a few cookies??
In case you haven't noticed, breakfast cookies are a thing. Made with nutritious ingredients, they're more wholesome than your average sugar-laden cookie. The possibilities of cookie combinations are endless, and today we're hopping on the autumn-is-here-in-just-a-few-weeks wagon and sharing a recipe for pumpkin breakfast cookies.
These flourless pumpkin cookies are made with oats, use mashed banana as a natural binder, and incorporate nutritionally dense hemp hearts into the mix. These cookies are subtly sweet and give you a pumpkin fix at 100 calories a pop.
Whip up a batch ahead of time for your grab-and-go breakfast on busy mornings! They're also delicious crumbled over yogurt bowls, toasted with drizzled almond butter on top, and paired with banana protein smoothies.
Pumpkin Banana Oat Breakfast Cookies
Makes 12 cookies
- 2 cups dry oats of choice
- 1/3 cup pure pumpkin
- 1 ripe mashed banana
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup natural applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons hemp hearts
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place 1 1/2 cups of the oats in a food processor, pulsing until the oats are mostly ground.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, mashed banana, maple syrup, applesauce, and vanilla.
- Add in both the ground and regular oats, hemp hearts, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder. Stir with a wooden spoon just until combined evenly.
- Spoon the batter onto the baking sheet, forming 12 cookies. Gently flatten the batter down a bit with a fork or the back of a spatula. (The cookies won't spread a lot while baking, so you can place them pretty close together.)
- Bake for 12 minutes, or until cookies are lightly browned on the bottoms. Allow to slightly cool before enjoying.
Nutrition stats per 1 cookie: 104 calories, 2g fat, 20g carbs, 2g fiber, 7g sugar, 3g protein