Your usual kale salad gets an upgrade with this tasty recipe with golden beets, creamy avocado, and an anti-inflammatory dressing that tastes as good as it looks.
If you're one of those people who wonders how you ever ate lunch before kale salads were a thing, then you've probably tried just about every different way to eat this nutrient-dense leafy green. Well, prepare to be impressed by this simple, yet creative recipe developed by Sarah Schiear. The healthy foodie, founder of e-commerce kitchen site Salt House Market, and recently freed sugar addict, mixes up your usual kale salad by adding pretty, roasted golden beets to the mix. This yellow-hued root veggie packs in ample amounts of fiber and vitamins A and C. Toss in a few more ingredients (some expected, some not so much) and mix the whole thing up with a homemade, anti-inflammatory turmeric dressing. You'll have yourself an anything-but-boring lunch.
"The dressing is more than healthy, it's just plain delicious," says Schiear. "I love the smoky, unique flavor that the nigella seeds add to the salad, and the sweetness of the dates balances out the bitterness of the kale perfectly." You can turn this into a heartier lunch or a complete dinner by adding some grilled chicken or salmon. Schiear says purple or watermelon radishes make a pretty garnish.
- 1 bunch yellow beets, peeled and cut into wedges
- Avocado oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 bunch black or lacinato kale, chopped with stems removed
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 3 medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- Nigella seeds, for serving (optional)
- Turmeric dressing (recipe below)
Turmeric Dressing Ingredients
- 1/4 cup coconut yogurt (unsweetened)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat beets lightly in oil; season well with salt. Roast on a baking sheet (lined with parchment or foil for easy cleanup) for 40 to 50 minutes, until tender.
- To prepare dressing, combine all ingredients in blender.
- Toss kale with turmeric dressing in a large bowl. Season with salt to taste. Toss with roasted beets, avocado, dates, and Nigella seeds.