Photo: Ted Cavanaugh
Homemade ice cream has come a long way—it no longer requires special equipment, loads of sugar, or even dairy if you don’t want it. (See: Healthy Ice Cream Sandwich Recipes That Will Change Summer Forever) By playing with ingredients and techniques, you can easily whip up something delicious and healthy. This dairy-free version from pastry chef Leigh Omilinsky of Nico Osteria in Chicago is a real knockout and a great place to start. Pistachios give it a rich and nutty flavor and add a healthy dose of B vitamins and minerals like potassium. (Here are more healthy pistachio recipes to satisfy your sweet tooth.)
Homemade Pistachio-Coconut Ice Cream Recipe
Active time: 10 minutes
Total time: 4 hours 20 minutes (including 4 hours freezing)
- 1/2 cup pistachios
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil or any unflavored oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 11/2 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
- 2 cans coconut cream, frozen for at least 2 hours or refrigerated overnight
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Fruit, coconut shavings, jam, or toasted nuts for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a loaf pan with foil and place in the freezer
- On a baking tray, toast pistachios in oven for 5 minutes. Then add warm pistachios, oil, sugar, and small pinch of salt to a blender and process until mixture is smooth.
- Open chilled cans of coconut cream. Scrape fat from the top into a mixing bowl. Discard remaining liquid or reserve it for another use. With a hand mixer, whip coconut cream until it is the consistency of soft whipped cream. Add the honey, 11/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/3 cup pistachio paste and fold gently until combined.
- Pour mixture into the chilled loaf pan. Freeze for at least four hours. To serve, scoop the ice cream and add toppings if desired.
*Nutrition facts per serving: 247 calories, 32 g fat (17.4 g saturated), 18 g carbs, 4 g protein, 625 mg sodium