These Greek Sliders with Sriracha-Lime Hummus Are Vegetarian Dinner Perfection
Whether you eat meatless meals all the time or just on Mondays, this healthy recipe is sure to satisfy.
It's meatless Monday and you're craving a burger. Instead of unearthing a sad premade veggie burger from your freezer, make some homemade vegetarian sliders you'll actually look forward to eating. These Greek sliders from Chloe Coscarelli (Chef Chloe) measure up to meaty burgers in flavor but aren't lacking in protein thanks to tofu and white beans. (Check out these other high-protein vegetarian dinner recipes.)
You'll make these in three steps. First, blend up the patties, which are refreshingly not just a standard mix of vegetables with a breadcrumb binder. Instead, you'll appreciate the unique tofu and brown rice mixture, which makes them less dense than a black bean or sweet potato patty. (Here are 13 more crazy-good burgers for a vegetarian cookout.)
Once the patties are complete, you'll work on the sriracha-lime hummus. Yeah, you can opt for a store-bought spread, but this DIY version is actually way easier than you think.
Finally, you'll put the whole thing together by spreading the hummus on a toasted mini bun, placing the patty, and topping it off with your choice of Greek fixings. Coscarelli went with tomato, arugula, and red onion, but you could also throw on slivered olives or red peppers. (Discover more Greek recipes that will essentially transport you to the Mediterranean.)
Greek Sliders with Sriracha-Lime Hummus
- 1 (16-oz) package Nasoya extra-firm tofu, pressed 20 minutes, crumbled
- 1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, cilantro, or basil
Sriracha Lime Hummus
- 1 (15-oz) can white beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 clove garlic
- Slider buns or small dinner rolls, halved and toasted
- Optional toppings: arugula, sliced red onion, sliced tomato
- To make the tofu sliders: Wrap tofu tightly in kitchen or paper towels and place heavy object on top (ex: can of soup or few cookbooks). Let sit about 20 minutes while excess water releases from tofu. Unwrap and now your tofu will be ready to soak up all the juices and flavors of your dish!
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and let cook until soft. Crumble tofu into the skillet and let cook a few more minutes until lightly browned. Transfer mixture to a food processor, reserving the skillet for later use. Add brown rice, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, onion powder, and herbs to the food processor. Pulse until combined. Use your hands to form patties to fit the size of your slider buns.
- Lightly grease the reserved nonstick skillet with olive oil, and heat over medium-high heat. Add patties, working in batches as needed, and cook about 3 to 5 minutes on each side, or until nicely browned, adding more oil between batches as needed.
- To make the hummus: Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- To assemble the sliders: Spread a layer of hummus on both top and bottom buns, and layer slider patty, arugula, onion, and tomato in between. Enjoy!