Jennifer Garner Loves This Delicious Chicken Soup and It's the Coziest Recipe Ever
The actress and avid home cook shared one of her go-to soups from Martha Stewart. "I've been making this @marthastewart recipe for years-the roast lemon chicken alone is enough to make you sing!" she says. (Related: 6 Moves Jennifer Garner Used to Train for Her Latest Action Hero Role)
In the post, the 46-year-old shares step-by-step photos of the process, from seasoning and roasting the chicken to shredding it and adding it to the broth. "You can dress it up (homemade stock) or make it in a hurry (broth from a box-don't tell @inagarten!), whatever you do, this recipe is a sure thing," says Garner, who is a friend of Ina Garten.
The mom of three has been showing off her cooking skills lately on Instagram and during her "Pretend Cooking Show." The chicken soup-which is her first from the domestic diva-joins more tried and true recipes she's featured like bread men, kale chips, her morning smoothie, beet chips, bagels, and English muffins. (Related: The Healthy Food We Can't Wait to Make from Jennifer Garner's IG Cooking Show)
The Barefoot Contessa has been one of many stars to praise her efforts in the kitchen, and Garner is likely to have found a new fan in Stewart after giving her a shoutout."Isn't she lovely?! I just think she's so wonderful," Garten recently told People. "I love her videos so much. She is adorable and smart and not at all performing-that's just who she is. I just think she's really special."
Get the full soup recipe below.
Martha Stewart's Roast Lemon Chicken Soup
- 2 lemons, thinly sliced
- 6 small shallots, peeled and quartered lengthwise
- 1 whole 4-lb. chicken (backbone and giblets removed)
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 cups chicken stock
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Rub chicken with 1 tablespoon oil and season with 1 tablespoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Brush 1 tablespoon oil in center of a rimmed baking sheet slightly larger than size of the chicken. Slice lemons thinly and lay half out in a single layer on the oil.
- Place chicken, skin side up, on lemons. Beginning at the neck end of the breast, carefully loosen skin from flesh of breast and thighs with your fingers. Slide remaining lemon slices under skin in a single layer. (This isn't as scary as it sounds, go for it!)
- Roast chicken for 20 minutes. Toss shallots with remaining teaspoon oil and scatter around chicken. Continue to roast chicken until a thermometer inserted into thickest part of breast reaches 165 degrees-appx. 25 to 30 minutes more.
- Transfer chicken to a carving board and let cool completely. Remove and discard skin, lemon under skin and bones.
- Shred meat into bite-size pieces. Mix shredded meat with pan juices, roasted lemons, and shallots from baking sheet into a bowl. (Feel free to stop here, you can't do better than this concoction)
- Bring chicken stock to a simmer in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in chicken, lemons, shallots and pan juices, and simmer 1 minute. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Divide soup among 4 to 6 bowls. Add rice (brown is perfect) if you so desire!
*This recipe was provided to People by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional. It has not been tested for home use.*
This story originally appeared on People.com by Jessica Facteau.