Kayla Itsines' Green Smoothie Bowl Recipe Is the Definition of a Power-Breakfast
The "Sweat with Kayla" creator shared this sweet-but-healthy breakfast option in her new book.
You don't have to drink a glass of liquid salad to get hit your greens quota at breakfast. This smoothie bowl from Kayla Itsines' new book, The Bikini Body Motivation and Habits Guide, has nothing to do with spinach. It's filled with green stuff (just not the leafy kind) and free of refined sugar with a sweet, chocolaty-coconut taste. (Another sweet, nutrient-packed option: This carrot cake smoothie bowl.)
This bowl gets its color from two heavy-duty greens: zucchini and spirulina. Zucchini provides folate, potassium, and vitamin C and doesn't much affect the smoothie's flavor. If you're unfamiliar with spirulina, consider it the superfood MVP. This green super powder has lots of protein, copper, and iron. Plus, it's is anti-inflammatory, has immune-boosting properties, and can boost your fitness endurance. (Want a lunch option instead? Try this vegan green soup with coconut oil, spirulina, and more superfoods.)
Green Smoothie Bowl
Makes: 1 serving
Prep Time: 5 minutes
- 1/2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 medium banana, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon spirulina powder, plus extra to garnish (optional)
- 7 ounces low-fat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 ounce natural muesli or rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon coconut flakes
- 1 1/2 ounces blueberries
- 1 3/4 ounces frozen blackberries, thawed
- 1 teaspoon raw cacao nibs
- Place zucchini, banana, spirulina, yogurt, and milk in high-powered blender, and blend until smooth.
- To serve, pour smoothie mixture into a serving bowl and top with muesli, coconut flakes, blueberries, blackberries, and cacao nibs. Garnish with more spirulina powder, if desired.