Kristin Cavallari's Healthy Seafood Pasta Recipe from Her 'True Roots' Cookbook
Kristin Cavallari is a pro at winging it in the kitchen. But her first experiment gone right will always remain her fondest cooking moment.
Kristin Cavallari has been killing it. The mom of three has founded jewelry and home goods company Uncommon James, returned to her reality TV roots for a new show Very Cavallari (premiering July 8 on E!), and penned a new cookbook, True Roots. Here, she shares a healthy pasta dish she dreamed up.
"Sunshine was streaming through the open kitchen window; my first son, Camden, a baby at the time, was happy; and we were all together in the house that my husband, Jay, and I had just bought in Nashville. I decided to make pasta with veggies and seafood for lunch. Because I try to eat clean 80 percent of the time-meaning no refined sugar or cow's milk-I used brown rice linguine and Manchego cheese, which is made from sheep's milk. I added tomatoes and asparagus and made a sauce with mushrooms and white wine. I drizzled it all with a homemade garlic-basil oil. (Related: Kristin Cavallari's Favorite Total-Body Gym Routine)
It was the first time I'd dreamed up a dish and successfully created it, and it turned out even better than I'd imagined. I credit this pasta with giving me the confidence to play around in the kitchen. That's when the real fun happens." (Related: 8 Times Kristin Cavallari Embodied Healthy Balance Goals)
Shrimp and Scallop Linguine with Vegetables
Total time: 25 minutes
- 1⁄2 package brown rice linguine
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed
- 6 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 8 scallops, washed and patted dry
- 12 large shrimp, peeled
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic, divided
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped cremini mushrooms
- 1 cup roughly chopped basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pink Himalayan salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated Manchego cheese
- Preheat the broiler. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Cook linguine according to package directions. Drain, place in a large bowl, cover, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, line asparagus on a baking sheet and drizzle with 1 teaspoon of the oil. Broil for 8 minutes, or until tender-crisp. Chop and set aside.
- In a large skillet, warm 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Make sure scallops are dry. Once the pan is hot, cook scallops for 2 minutes on one side, then flip and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the pan, cover, and set aside.
- In the same pan, sauté shrimp with 1 tablespoon garlic for 4 to 5 minutes, or until cooked through. Place shrimp with scallops and cover.
- Add wine to the same pan. Add mushrooms and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, or until tender, scraping the bottom of the pan, if needed. Remove from heat.
- Using tongs to avoid any excess oil or water, place mushrooms, tomatoes, and asparagus in the same bowl as the linguine. Add scallops and shrimp, cover, and set aside.
- In a different medium skillet over medium heat, warm remaining 4 tablespoons oil. Add remaining 1 tablespoon garlic and sauté for 1 minute, constantly stirring so the garlic doesn't burn. Add basil and sauté for 30 to 45 seconds, or until wilted. Pour the garlic-basil oil on top of the pasta and season with the salt and pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Add cheese and stir once more, just enough to disperse. Serve immediately.
Reprinted with permission from True Roots: A Mindful Kitchen with More Than 100 Recipes Free of Gluten, Dairy, and Refined Sugar by Kristin Cavallari (Rodale Books 2018)