This Savory Cornbread Waffle Recipe Will Make You Forget About Maple Syrup Forever
Top a cornbread waffle with veggies and cheese, and you have a healthy dish worthy of any mealtime.
When made with healthy grains, the brunch favorite turns into a satisfying, good-for-you midday (or end-of-day) meal. Start with this cornbread recipe from Pamela Salzman, the author of the cookbook Kitchen Matters, then pile on a mix of cravable toppings. Pro prep tip: Waffles will keep for two days in the fridge or up to three months in the freezer. Reheat in the toaster oven or microwave. (Want more meal prep? Try our 30-day meal prep challenge.)
Try the suggestions here, or play around-when it's on a waffle, almost anything goes. (And, yes, if you want it, you can still have your maple syrup.)
Savory Southwestern Cornbread Waffle Recipe
Active time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 1 cup oat, spelt, or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 cups plain full-fat yogurt or buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup or honey
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Add-ins like diced red onion, bell pepper, or jalapeño; corn kernels; shredded Monterey Jack cheese (optional)
- Olive oil or ghee for brushing waffle iron
- Toppings (optional; see below)
- Preheat waffle iron to the highest setting. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt.
- Add yogurt, eggs, maple syrup, and melted butter to a blender and puree. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Stir in add-ins as desired.
- Brush the inside of the waffle iron with olive oil and spoon about 2/3 cup batter into the middle. Close the iron and cook until crispy. Continue with remaining batter.
Proteins: pinto beans, spice-rubbed grilled chicken, hard-boiled eggs, shrimp, black beans, hummus
Vegetables: avocado, arugula, spinach, roasted sweet potato, collard greens, bell pepper, tomatoes, corn, roasted poblano peppers
Finishers: shredded cheese, cilantro, caramelized onions, barbecue sauce, pico de gallo, ranch dressing