This Warm Salad with Spiced Chickpeas, Chicken, and Smoky Tahini Dressing Will Take You Into Fall
Warm and spicy chickpeas help bring on all the cozy fall feels.
Step aside, pumpkin spice lattes-this salad with warm and spicy chickpeas is what's really going to give you the fall feels. The warm, roasted chickpeas in this salad are also super filling with half a cup containing 6 grams of protein and 6 grams of fiber. You'll also find additional protein in this salad from the healthy (and convenient!) shredded rotisserie chicken. Plus, there's healthy fat from the dairy-free dressing made from tahini and extra-virgin olive oil. (More: Grain-Based Salads That Seriously Satisfy)
Altogether, this combination of protein and healthy fat (plus fiber from the chickpeas) is exactly what you need to keep your belly warm, full, and happy on the upcoming cool fall evenings. This bowl of yummy also has vitamins A and K and folate from Bibb lettuce, and vitamin C and lycopene from tomatoes, so you'll be getting a healthy dose of micronutrients to help you feel your best as the seasons change. (Related: This Superfood Soup Combines Chicken, Spinach, and Chickpeas In the Best Way)
With smoky, spicy, and creamy elements all in one delectable meal, don't be surprised if this healthy salad becomes your new fall favorite.
Warm Salad with Spiced Chickpeas and Chicken (+ Smoky Tahini Dressing)
- 8 cups organic Bibb lettuce, separated into individual leaves
- spiced, roasted chickpeas, warm (see below)
- 1 cup tomatoes, sliced
- 16 ounces organic rotisserie chicken, torn
- smoky tahini dressing (see below)
For the spiced chickpeas:
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) organic chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans), drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Himalayan pink salt to taste
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tahini paste
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup purified water
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon Annie's Organic Horseradish Mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons coconut aminos
- 1 clove garlic
- Himalayan pink salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Toss chickpeas and olive oil on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil, until chickpeas are well-coated.
- Bake chickpeas for approximately 45 minutes, or until chickpeas are golden and crunchy. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly. Then toss them in a bowl with paprika, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne, and sprinkle with salt.
- To make the dressing: Add dressing ingredients to Vitamix or other high-speed blender and blend until emulsified. Adjust salt to taste.
- In a large salad bowl, toss lettuce, warm chickpeas, tomatoes, and chicken with about 1/2 cup of smoky tahini dressing, or enough of the dressing to coat. (You can reserve remaining dressing for later use in the fridge.) Enjoy!