This Spicy Chicken Salad Makes Lunch Way More Interesting
Turn this high-fat deli staple into a healthier, kicked up version of your new favorite way to eat lunch.
This seasonal recipe is the best way to enjoy the end-of-summer produce before you can't any longer.
Grab some fresh nectarines, and try this fun, delicious twist on classic chicken salad. It's got an interesting mix of sweet, spicy, and creamy flavors. Plus, it's healthier than the typical deli variety too. (Related: Mediterranean Diet Chicken Recipes for Lunch, Dinner, or Meal Prep)
Unlike traditional chicken salad, this one is totally free of dairy and refined sugar and uses a monounsaturated fat-rich avocado oil-based mayonnaise instead of a traditional mayo. This spicy chicken salad recipe also loads you up on protein from rotisserie chicken and beta-carotene and fiber from nectarines.
Plus, there's an abundance of flavor in every bite thanks to the triple whammy of apple cider vinegar, chipotle sauce, and chopped red onion. Cilantro lover's chop the bright green herb and sprinkle some throughout. If you think cilantro tastes like soap (seriously, it's a genetic thing), just opt out or try something more benign like curly parsley. (Related: These Healthy Hot Sauce Recipes Are Next-Level Brilliant)
I love serving it on top of a bed of greens or wrapping it in a collard green leaf—both options give you an extra nutrient boost.
Nectarine Chipotle Chicken Salad
- 4 oz. organic rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon Frontera chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon Primal Kitchen Chipotle Avocado Oil Mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoon raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped nectarine
- Himalayan pink salt to taste
- Add chipotle and adobo sauce, mayo, apple cider vinegar, and salt to a bowl and mix until sauce is smooth and combined. Adjust salt to taste.
- In a separate bowl, combine chicken with chipotle-mayo sauce and toss to coat. Stir cilantro, red onion, and nectarines until combined.
- Serve chicken salad on top of a bed of greens or wrap it in a collard green leaf.