Grilled & Stuffed Avocado with Mango & Black Bean Salsa
Healthy fats? Check. Fiber? Check. This spoonable avocado is the perfect meal!
No one wants to use their oven in the middle of summer. Luckily, this recipe utilizes the best outdoor summer cooking tool-the grill. If you didn't know you could grill avocado, or anything other than burgers and chicken breast, you're about to open up your eating world to a whole new dimension. You can grill fruit like peaches and pineapple. You can grill pizza for perfectly burnt edges. And you can grill a whole slew of other unexpected foods.
Grilling an avocado brings out the sweet and rich flavor of the fruit, and the warmth of the grill creates a perfectly soft avocado. Here it's topped with a sweet and savory mango and black bean salsa, so this dish is just as colorful as it is healthy and yummy. You can eat it with a fork, right out of the avocado skin. Or scoop it out and combine with your favorite grain, like quinoa or sorghum. Better yet, put it out with a bowl of chips at your next backyard BBQ and watch it disappear.
Stuffed Avocado Recipe with Black Bean and Mango Salsa
- Cooking spray
- 2 ripe avocados, cut in half and pits removed
- 1/2 cup diced mango
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 1 teaspoon diced jalapeño
- 1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat a grill to medium-high heat. Spray grill with cooking spray and place avocados facedown. Grill for about 4 to 5 minutes or until grill marks appear on the flesh. Remove avocados from grill and set aside.
2. In a bowl, combine mango, red onion, jalapeño, black beans, lime juice, and vegetable oil. Mix well and season with salt and pepper.
3. Spoon mango and black bean mixture over grilled avocados. Serve as is, or spoon out and serve mixture as a dip or a side dish with grains.