This recipe is full of nutrient-rich veggies.
Photo: Nicole Crane
With the arrival of October, so begins the craving for warm, comforting dinners. If you're on the hunt for seasonal recipe ideas that are delicious and nutritious, we've got just the plant-based recipe for you: This Thai green veggie curry features brown rice and lots of veggies, including broccoli, bell pepper, carrots, and mushrooms.
The curry gets its rich flavor from canned coconut milk, green curry paste, fresh gingerroot, and a hint of garlic, and the bowls are topped with fresh basil and cashews for some crunch. For even more texture—and to amp up the protein in this dish—add crispy tofu. The key? Cut the tofu into somewhat thin slices, then cook the pieces until they're slightly burnt on both sides. (Related: This Easy Vegan Coconut Curry Noodle Bowl Hits the Spot When You're Too Tired to Cook)
Packed with veggies and hearty grains, this curry provides 144 percent of the daily recommended value of vitamin A, 135 percent of vitamin C, and 22 percent of iron, plus 9 grams of fiber per serving.
Bonus: It makes for great leftovers to bring to work for lunch or to re-heat for dinner on a busy weeknight. Let's get chopping! (More: Surprisingly Easy Vegan Curry Recipes That Anyone Can Master)
Thai Green Veggie Curry with Tofu and Cashews
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice (or 4 cups cooked brown rice)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil (or preferred cooking oil)
- 14 oz. extra-firm tofu
- 1 medium crown broccoli
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 large carrots
- 2 cups of Baby Bella mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove
- 1-inch chunk of gingerroot
- 1 14-oz can full-fat coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons green curry paste
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 cup cashews
- Fresh chopped basil for garnish
- Cook rice according to directions.
- Meanwhile, warm canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Drain water from tofu container. Slice block of tofu vertically into five somewhat thin, but large pieces (you'll chop them up later). Cook tofu pieces in the skillet until they're crispy on both sides. Transfer the pieces to a cutting board.
- While tofu is cooking, prep veggies: Chop broccoli, slice pepper, carrots, and mushrooms, and mince garlic and gingerroot.
- Once tofu is done cooking, and remove from skillet, add the can of coconut milk to the skillet. Warm for 2 minutes, then add the curry paste, ginger, and garlic, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Transfer the broccoli, pepper, carrot, and mushroom pieces to the skillet. Add lime juice, salt, and pepper. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until veggies are tender and curry mixture soaks up and has reached desired consistency.
- Cut tofu pieces into bite-size cubes.
- Divide rice into serving bowls. Spoon veggies and curry evenly into the bowls, and add crispy tofu to each bowl.
- Add cashews to each bowl, and sprinkle the chopped basil on top.
- Enjoy while the dish it's warm!
Nutrition facts per 1/4 of the recipe: 550 calories, 30g fat, 13g saturated fat, 54g carbs, 9g fiber, 9g sugar, 18g protein