It's pretty amazing what tofu can transform itself into. In this case, the plant-based staple makes a great alternative to scrambled eggs.
Photo: Jessica Cording Nutrition
Originally used as a therapeutic diet to manage epilepsy, the ketogenic diet has become popular for weight loss. You've likely seen keto meal plans and snack posts catching fire on social media and maybe even tried some recipes yourself.
Here's the skinny: The keto diet is very high in fat (with 60 to 75 percent of your total calories coming from fat), moderately high in protein (15 to 30 percent of your total calories), and very low in carbs (as low as 5 to 10 percent of calories). Far from a one-size-fits-all approach, it requires some planning and adjusting and can be hard to sustain. But one of the positives is that it basically forces you to get creative in the kitchen. (Related: The Best Thing About the Top Diets of 2018 Is That They Aren't All About Weight Loss)
For vegan eaters who want to follow a keto diet, it does involve a little more planning to ensure you get enough protein and fat (which are easy to find in animal sources), but it can be done. Finding low-carb vegan protein sources to pair with healthy fats can help you stay on track with your keto goals. Tofu, hemp hearts, nuts, nut butter, and nutritional yeast are your BFFs for hitting your macro targets. Incorporating plenty of non-starchy veggies into your day helps you fill up on fiber without going overboard on carbs. (Check out these other vegan keto recipes that prove there's more to the keto diet than bacon.)
This tofu scramble can also help you stay in ketosis without sacrificing your vegan eating style. The recipe is packed with protein and healthy fats and delivers on flavor.
Vegan Keto Breakfast: Tofu Scramble
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (add separately to nutrition stats)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- Dash of sea salt
- A few grinds black pepper
- 1 to 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup sliced pepper and onion
- 1/2 block firm tofu (water drained)
- 1/2 medium avocado
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Mix together nutritional yeast, spices, and water in a small cup. Set aside.
- Add oil to skillet and warm over medium heat. Add pepper and onion. Sauté until soft; about 5 minutes.
- Crumble tofu as you add it to the pan, or use a wooden spoon to break up tofu pieces in the pan. Heat until tofu is hot; about 2 minutes. Add seasoning and toss well to coat.
- Turn off heat and transfer scramble mixture to a plate. Top with sliced avocado and parsley.
Nutrition information for 1 serving: 383 calories, 22g protein, 23g total fat (4g sat fat, 12g mono fat), 22g carbs, 10g fiber, 6g sugar (no added sugar)