Quick and Easy Recipe: Avocado Pesto Pasta
This 30-minute meal from vegan chef Chloe Cascorelli never fails to impress dinner guests
Your friends will be knocking on your door in 30 minutes and you haven't even started cooking dinner. Sound familiar? We've all been there-which is why everyone should have a go-to quick and easy recipe that never fails to impress. This avocado pesto pasta from award-winning vegan chef Chloe Cascorelli gets the job done. Plus, it's much healthier than anything you'd find on a takeout menu!
My serving suggestion: Pair this dish with mixed greens or a butter lettuce salad tossed in a few drops of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Finally, add a glass of antioxidant-packed pinot noir and you'll have the perfect, slimmed-down Italian meal.
What You'll Need
Brown rice pasta (1 package)
For the pesto:
1 bunch fresh basil
½ cup pine nuts
2 tablespoons lemon juice
½ cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic
Prep the Pasta
Bring water to a boil over high heat on the stove (use at least 4 quarts of water per pound of pasta to prevent the noodles from sticking together). Add the package of brown rice pasta and allow to cook (about 10 minutes) while you prepare the pesto.
Mix all ingredients for the pesto in a food processor or blender.
The Final Product
Combine the pesto with pasta in a large bowl. Add a few gloves of fresh basil and sea salt and black pepper to taste.
Final step: Check out the amazing nutritional benefits from the main ingredients on the next page and enjoy every bite without guilt!
Bonus Nutritional Benefits
- High in Vitamin E, an antioxidant that helps protect our body from many chronic diseases, such as cancer, heart disease, and diabetes
- Certain nutrients are absorbed better when eaten with avocados, such as lycopene and beta-carotene
- High in monounsaturated fat (good fat) which helps keep your heart healthy and lower cholesterol
- Contains essential oils that help reduce inflammation in the body
- High in Vitamin A and beta-carotene, which help protect against premature aging and various diseases
- Stimulates the immune system
- High in monounsaturated fats, which among many benefits lowers bad cholesterol and raises good cholesterol
- Contains essential fatty acid (pinolenic acid) which can improve weight loss by curbing appetite
- Excellent source of B vitamins which play a major role in metabolism