Less cleanup and more flavor mean dinner has never been easier.
It's that time of year when curling up with a bowl of hearty soup just feels right. Once you've exhausted your chicken chili and your tomato bisque recipes, look to this Mexican chicken chowder from Danielle Walker, founder of Against All Grain and author of Celebrations, for the perfect dish. Since this bowl of goodness comes together in an Instant Pot, you can make it whenever the mood strikes, instead of having to prep your slow-cooker hours in advance. (Here are more satisfying soup recipes that bring hygge to mealtime.)
This recipe is a step above most chowder recipes, nutrition-wise; instead of cream, the broth is thickened up with a roasted tomatillo salsa. (You can buy a jar or make your own.) The soup boasts lean protein from chicken thighs and a trio of superstar veggies. Spinach and sweet potatoes are both high in vitamin A, and carrots and sweet potatoes both contain high amounts of beta-carotene. Make this whenever you get a craving for healthy comfort food.
Mexican Chicken Chowder
Makes: 4 to 6 servings
- 2 pounds chicken thighs, bone in, trimmed of fat and skin
- 3 cups peeled and cubed sweet potatoes
- 2 cups peeled and sliced carrots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups roasted tomatillo salsa
- 4 cups chicken bone broth
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- Garnish: chopped cilantro and diced avocado
- Place chicken, sweet potatoes, carrots, garlic, salt, salsa, and broth in an Instant Pot or another electric pressure cooker.
- Secure lid and set machine to manual high pressure for 20 minutes. Be sure valve is set to sealed.
- Remove chicken from pot. Shred the meat with two forks. Set aside.
- Scoop out 2 cups of vegetables and 1/4 cup of broth. Place in a blender. Purée for 15 seconds and then incorporate back into pot.
- Add chicken and spinach to pot and stir to incorporate until spinach is slightly wilted.
- Serve hot, garnished with sliced avocado and fresh cilantro.
Reprinted with permission from Against All Grain: Delectable Paleo Recipes to Eat Well & Feel Great, by Danielle Walker, copyright © 2013. Published by Victory Belt Publishing.