Make This Kale Salad Using Leftover Thanksgiving Stuffing
How to turn your leftovers into croutons (and actually get excited to eat your post-Thanksgiving salad). Come on, we all know stuffing is the best part.
Imagine being able to reach into your fridge the day after Thanksgiving, pull out a few of your favorite leftovers (delicious herbed stuffing, anyone?), and magically turn them into something semi-healthy. Sound crazy? It's actually totally possible, assuming you're willing to employ a tiny bit of elbow grease in between the opening-the-fridge part and the eating-it part.
For the salad below, we roasted leftover stuffing to make croutons. Genius, right? It's also a great way to curb food waste. We added some goat cheese, cranberries, and more (including some shredded turkey) then topped it all off with a flavorful dressing. In other words, it couldn't be easier-and it'll make you excited to dig into your lunch salad when those post-Thanksgiving blues set in the next week.
Kale Salad with Leftover Stuffing Croutons
- 2 cups leftover stuffing
- 1/2 cup raw halved pecans
- 8 ounces kale leaves, stems discarded
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 small apple, any kind, chopped into cubes
- 1 1/2 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- 1 cup leftover turkey, shredded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, then pour stuffing onto the prepared pan and spread out on half of the sheet, so that there's about half an inch between each "piece" of stuffing. Add pecans to the other half of the baking sheet. Bake for a total of 25 minutes, removing the pecans carefully at the halfway mark, at which point you can stir and turn over the stuffing before returning the pan to the oven. Let the pecans and stuffing cool once both are removed from the oven.
2. Make the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, and mustard until combined.
3. In a large bowl, combine kale, cranberries, apple, goat cheese, turkey, pecans, and croutons. Dress and toss to coat. Enjoy!