Turn Your Thanksgiving Leftovers Into This Healthy Grain Bowl
Combine all of your favorite Thanksgiving foods—turkey, cranberries, sweet potato—to create a healthy lunch.
Thinking of simply throwing those Thanksgiving leftovers in the microwave? Think again. First of all, that's no way to treat souvenirs of the best food holiday of the year. And second of all, we've got an easy way to reimagine all those flavors.
We dreamed up a leftovers grain bowl that involves the most delicious Thanksgiving flavors-leftover turkey, cranberries, sweet potato-and combines them with some healthy go-to grain bowl ingredients, including chickpeas, parsley, and, of course, your favorite grains. Top it all off with a light dressing, and you have a brilliant new way to repurpose leftovers.
Thanksgiving Leftovers Grain Bowl
Total time: 10 minutes
- 1/2 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup leftover sweet potato (or sweet potato mash!)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup shredded cooked turkey
- In a small bowl, mix the chickpeas and parsley with a few pinches of salt and some pepper. Set aside.
- Make the dressing: Using another small bowl, mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, and red wine vinegar with a pinch of salt and more pepper.
- Finally, layer or arrange all of the dry ingredients in a shallow, wide bowl: first the quinoa, then the chickpea-parsley mixture, the sweet potato, cranberries, and turkey. Add dressing on top, mix, and enjoy!