Vegan Truffles That Will Fuel You Through the Holiday Chaos
This 2-in-1 snack can keep you energized and add a sweet finish to holiday meals.
It's the most exhausting time of the year, and the holiday rush is when your body needs fuel the most. That's where these surprisingly healthy chocolate truffles come in. Watt Sriboonruang, founder of Rawsome Treats in New York, developed these vegan chocolate truffles that can fuel you for the holiday madness while also satisfying your craving for Christmas cookies. (Here are 16 more healthy, bite-size holiday desserts.)
They might seem like candy, but these red and green guys are actually filled with food you'd normally grab for a pre- or post-workout snack. (Celebrating Hanukkah? Fuel your workouts with latkes.) Dates provide natural sugar and are high in potassium, which helps with recovery. Cacao powder contains caffeine and stimulates the flow of endorphins. Whip these up in 15 minutes and you'll have both a festive treat to bring to parties and a snack on hand for when you need to recharge your batteries.
No-Bake Chocolate Holiday Truffles
Active time: 15 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
- 2 cups pitted dates (preferably medjool)
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, plus more to coat your hands
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup crushed freeze-dried raspberries (for red coating) or matcha powder (for green coating)
- Handful of pecans, or your favorite nut (optional)
- Add dates, nuts (if using), cacao powder, coconut oil, vanilla, and salt to a food processor. Blend for 3 to 5 minutes or until dough is smooth. (If using a blender, scrape down the sides with a spatula and blend again, repeating until ingredients are combined.) If necessary, add 1 tablespoon water while processing to help dough come together.
- Lightly coat your hands with coconut oil. Break off a bite-size piece of dough and roll it into a ball. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Roll each ball in red or green coating. Store truffles in the refrigerator for up to four weeks.