What to Eat Before & After a Morning Sweat Session
I've often been puzzled by what to eat before a workout. Because I like to exercise in the morning and don't want to starve my way through a sweat session, I asked my nutritionist, Keri Gans, for tips on the best pre- and post-workout foods. Here are some of her recommendations:
Keri says you should balance your pre-workout meal with a protein and a carbohydrate. This will give you fuel and energy to sustain you through your gym routine.
- Whole-wheat cracker with natural peanut butter
- Protein bar
- Lowfat Greek yogurt with fruit- One banana with one tablespoon natural peanut butter
After working out, ideally within an hour, Keri suggests eating carbohydrates to provide energy and protein to aid muscle growth.
- Eggs or egg whites with whole wheat toast
- Lowfat Greek yogurt with berries and a high fiber cereal
- Oatmeal made with nonfat or lowfat milk, topped with a banana and nuts
It's important to keep your blood sugar consistent and focused so you can get through your workout without feeling light-headed or weak. What are your go-to pre- and post-workout snacks? Please share them with me in the comments below.