Spices like cinnamon, turmeric and paprika add flavor and depth to just about any recipe. But did you know that these spices can also help your body to better process a high-fat meal? According to new research published in the current issue of the Journal of Nutrition, eating a diet rich in spices and herbs reduces your body's negative response to eating high-fat meals.
In fact, researchers found that adding spices to a high-fat meal reduced subject's triglyceride response by about 30 percent. Additionally, antioxidant activity in the blood was increased by 13 percent and insulin response decreased by about 20 percent. Pretty cool, right? Read on for five tasty and healthy recipes to help you get your spice on!
5 Healthy Spicy Recipes
1. Apple-Cinnamon Compote with Toasted Oats. Enjoy this cinnamon-rich dish as breakfast or as a healthy dessert!
2. Curried Cauliflower Puree. This veggie-filled side dish takes just 30 minutes to cook and is high in the spices turmeric, ginger, coriander and cumin!
3. Broiled Spice-Rubbed Salmon. You already know that salmon is healthy, but this spicy salmon recipe takes it up a notch with paprika, pepper, cumin and oregano!
4. Garlic Herb Pork Chops. Getting your spice on is easy with this healthy pork chop recipe that uses a pre-made spice blend.
5. Spiced Pistachio-Crusted Chicken and Glazed Carrots. This filling meal has antioxidant-rich coriander, cumin and cilantro. Healthy and delicious!
Jennipher Walters is the CEO and co-founder of the healthy living websites FitBottomedGirls.com and FitBottomedMamas.com. A certified personal trainer, lifestyle and weight management coach and group exercise instructor, she also holds an MA in health journalism and regularly writes about all things fitness and wellness for various online publications.