Memorial Day weekend is the perfect time to go outside, get some sun and be active. While fitting your regular workout into your Memorial Day BBQ plans might be a tough squeeze, don't sweat it. Turns out that many popular BBQ activities can up your calorie burn, helping to offset those extra bites of potato salad. Check out the calorie count (numbers based on an 145-pound female) on the below fun and active Memorial Day ideas!
5 Fun Calorie-Burning Memorial Day BBQ Ideas
1. Volleyball. Just 30 minutes of casual volleyball in the backyard with pals burns about a 100 calories. Make that game more intense and competitive, and you can burn almost 300 calories.
2. Skip through the sprinkler. Evoke your inner child by skipping through the sprinkler! You can burn about 7 calories a minute doing this — really get those knees up to increase the numbers of calories burned even more!
3. Croquet. While not the most high-intensity activity, an hour-long round of croquet burns about 170 calories. Much more fun than sitting around the buffet table!
4. Cannonball in the pool. While splashing around in the pool can definitely work up an appetite for those tasty BBQ dishes, perfecting your cannonball can burn 200 calories an hour. Plus, it keeps you cool!
5. Trampoline jumping. Grab some pals of the kiddos and hop on that trampoline for just 30 minutes to rack up a calorie burn of 121 calories.
Jennipher Walters is the CEO and co-founder of the healthy living websites FitBottomedGirls.com and FitBottomedMamas.com. A certified personal trainer, lifestyle and weight management coach and group exercise instructor, she also holds an MA in health journalism and regularly writes about all things fitness and wellness for various online publications.