With Memorial Day weekend just around the corner, you're probably anxiously awaiting an extra day off of work and some rest and relaxation, whether it's at home or hitting the road for a quick getaway. No matter what your plans are for this three-day holiday weekend, it's easy to feel and look totally fabulous. We recently chatted up 17-year-old Blair Fowler, YouTube sensation and co-founder of the makeup, fashion and style website Elle and Blair, for her top tips on making Memorial Day 2011 your best ever.
Memorial Day 2011 Beauty and Health Tips from Blair Fowler
1. Put on a sundress (and take a cardi). Whether you'll be spending Memorial Day on a boat, like Blair is, or just in the backyard, there's no better summer outfit than a bright sundress! Just be sure to bring a cardigan in case the temperature drops at night or it gets windy, Blair says.
2. Bring a big bowl of fruit or veggies. Everyone brings macaroni and cheese and brownies to holiday parties, Blair says, so switch things up by bringing a big bowl of fruit or fresh-cut veggies. "Bring enough so that everyone can have a lot," she says. "People really do appreciate having something healthy to eat!"
3. Go virgin. Seeing that Blair isn't 21 yet, she's all about relaxing with a fun virgin daquiri made with premade mix and water. It's fun, festive and you don't have the extra calories from the alcohol, she says.
4. Blotting papers are your new BFF. If you're going to be outside, be sure to carry blotting papers and powder with you. When your facy gets overly sweaty or oily, blot away and then reapply powder to look your freshest, she advises.
5. Play some volleyball. Beach volleyball or a rousing game in your backyard is one of Blair's favorite ways to relax and have fun with friends. "You don't realize how much you're running around after the ball — it gets you really active!" she says.
6. Use SPF 50. Sunscreen is always super important to wear. Blair recommends wearing a face sunscreen every day, and then lathering a SPF 50 all over your body to stay protected.
7. Turn on your favorite tunes. Whether it's music like Blair's favorite "Baby Got Back" or "Drops of Jupiter," Blair says that the best way to get any Memorial Day party started is with high-energy music.
8. Wear sandals of all kinds. Whether it's flip-flops at the lake or dressier sandals for going out, open-toed shoes are a must this weekend, Blair says.
9. Bring two swimsuits. Finding the perfect swimsuit is always challenging, Blair says, so when you do go shopping buy two that you love in different styles. That way you have two looks to choose from!
10. Paint your nails a bright color. Go bright and loud on your nails this weekend. From pinks to blues to oranges, as long as its bright and summery, it works, Blair says.
Oh, and Blair's best tip? Have a blast and stay safe!
Jennipher Walters is the CEO and co-founder of the healthy living websites FitBottomedGirls.com and FitBottomedMamas.com. A certified personal trainer, lifestyle and weight management coach and group exercise instructor, she also holds an MA in health journalism and regularly writes about all things fitness and wellness for various online publications.