5 No-Sweat Summer Hairstyles
Loosely draped over one shoulder, the braid gets a sophisticated update.
1. Run a small amount of leave-in conditioner through damp hair to smooth strands from roots to ends.
2. Draw a side part, then gather hair to one side, just underneath your ear, and divide it into three even sections.
3. Braid from mid-neck to ends and secure with an elastic band. Let tendrils fall to keep the look soft.
Secret weapon: Nexxus Hydra-Light Weightless Moisture Leave-In Conditioning Foam ($15; drugstore.com) hydrates without weighing hair down.
If the heat has you fantasizing about cutting off all your hair, try this sweet 'do.
1. Air-dry hair, then mist roots with dray shampoo to boost body. Part locks to one side and pull into a low, loose ponytail. Secure with a hair tie.
2. Lightly tease the tail of your pony to create volume. Next, roll ends up toward the elastic and tuck underneath; anchor in place with bobby pins.
3. Using your fingers, smooth strands behind one ear. Then gently loosen the hair on the opposite side of your part. Tame flyways with hairspray.
Secret weapon: Tresemme Fresh Start Color Care Dry Shampoo ($5; tresemme.com) refreshes hair and shields it from the sun with a UVA complex.
Elevate your everyday ponytail by putting a new twist on it.
1. Make a center part and separate hair into three sections: one on each side and another at the nape of the neck.
2. Tie the middle section in a low pony with an elastic band. Then cross the two side sections around the base until the elastic is covered.
3. Tuck the ends of each section in the band underneath the ponytail and set with pins. Smooth the tail with a hair oil.
Secret weapon: Organix Argan Oil and Shea Butter Moisture Restore Weightless Oil ($8; amazon.com) makes hair look glossy, not greasy.
Don't have naturally wavy hair? You can coax out this tousled style.
1. Spritz wet hair with a sea-salt styling spray to give your strands some texture. Then create multiple medium-size braids all over your head.
2. Blot braids with a towel to remove excess moisture then air-dry. Mist with more salt spray to lock in the twisted pattern from the braids.
3. Unravel braids and use a dab of molding paste to sculpt waves, twilling them around your finger.
Secret weapon: The saltwater-and-seaweed-infused Bumble and Bumble surf spray ($25; bumbleandbumble.com) leaves hair soft and full—not crunchy.
Look—and stay—cool with this off-your-neck bun.
1. Comb damp strands straight back from your hairline and gather into a fairly loose, low ponytail at the nape of your neck. Anchor it with an elastic band. It should look smooth but not slick.
2. Twist the pony and wrap it around the band to form a bun. Need some extra oomph? Insert a foam tool like the Sephora Bunette ($7; sephora.com). Secure with bobby pins.
3. To prevent flyaway strands from popping out of your bun—and import a touch of shine—finish the look with a generous spritz of a lightweight aerosol hairspray.
Secret weapon: Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Flexible Hold Hairspray ($4; target.com) will lock in your style without a hard, shellac-like finish.