The Best Nail Strengtheners for Brittle, Weak Nails, According to Experts
Trying to grow your nails can feel impossible. Just when they start to reach your goal length, the inevitable happens: one of them breaks. Weak nails may grow just fine, but if they peel and crack in the process, it's pretty difficult to ever get over that length plateau. In these cases, a nail strengthening polish can be a savior. No one knows healthy nail care better than licensed nail technicians, nail artists, and even podiatrists, so we asked them to pick their favorite nail strengtheners to combat filmsy, peeling, or brittle nails.
These are the best nail strengtheners for weak nails, according to experts:
- Top-Rated Nail Strengthener: OPI Nail Envy Nail Strengthener
- Best Nail Strengthener for Peeling Nails: Nail Tek Intensive Therapy 2
- Best Nail Strengthener for Damaged Nails: Dermelect Cosmeceuticals Launchpad Nail Strengthener
- Best Nail Strengthener for Manicure Maintenance: Deborah Lippmann Hard Rock Hydrating Base & Top Coat
- Best Long-Lasting Nail Strengthener: Zeva Nail Guard
- Best Nail Strengthener for Shine: Maxus Nails Strengthener 2.0
- Best Nail Strengthener for Cuticle Care: CND RescueRx
- Best Oil-Formula Nail Strengthener: Gehwol Nail Care
These nail strengtheners are applied just as you would nail polish, and some can even stand in for your go-to base coat or topcoat. Strengthening polishes work by fortifying weak nails with proteins including keratin, wheat germ, or biotin to prevent cracking and peeling. With continued use, nails can grow not just longer but stronger, so you won't always be pulling out your file to fix yet another uneven edge. (Related: Semi-cured Gel Nail Polish Strips Are the Secret to a Flawless Home Mani)
If long nails are on your beauty bucket list or you're simply trying to strengthen weak nails that peel frequently, these are the nail strengtheners experts recommend to their clients and patients.