Found! Workout Wear with Flair
It's Saturday morning and you're heading to the gym. That faded concert tee and well-worn shorts should be fine for working up a good sweat, right? Wrong. Toss that style philosophy out the window along with your tired fitness clothing. The new approach for this spring: Don pieces that accentuate your figure (even if you're still perfecting it) and give you a boost of confidence. You'll not only feel better about yourself before, during, and after your workout, you'll also get plenty of compliments at the gym!
The 10 Best Tips We've Ever Heard
1. Shop for your body type Broad shoulders? Avoid racerbacks in favor of V-necks. Petite? Opt for long pants over cropped styles.
2. Buy clothing tagged for your activity For yoga, comfortable, roomy apparel is best. Runners need extra support.
3. Do a few jumping jacks in the dressing room If clothing restricts movement or rides up, this is the time to find out.
4. Surf the Web Sites such as activa.com and athleta.com have easy-to-use sizing guides and liberal return policies.
5. Embrace synthetics These high-performance fabrics do everything from keeping your body cool to protecting you from the sun.
6. Go seamless These designs limit chafing. 7. Have your workout pants hemmed The right length will keep you from tripping and make your legs look leaner.
8. Use a gentle detergent like Nathan Sports wash ($10; lucy.com) and cold water; hang dry to prevent fabrics from breaking down and becoming misshapen.
9. Replace your sports bra every 12 to 18 months to ensure proper support--and comfort.
10. Buy in bulk When you find a piece you love, snag a second (or third) one.