We're sporting this versatile side-swept waves plus braid combo all summer long, thanks to celeb hairstylist Sarah Potempa who showed us how to DIY.
Celebrity hairstylist Sarah Potempa is responsible for some of our all-time favorite hairstyles—from the beachy waves you see on the runway at the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show to the braided red carpet looks she's created for Lea Michele. She's also a master at the half-up braided combo, often seen on actress and singer Hailee Steinfeld.
#halfup #topknot on the insanely talented @haileesteinfeld To get the look I did a #dutchfrenchbraid in to a #halfup @wrapupbun + curled her #hair with a combo of @thebeachwaver S1 + S1.25 Stunning #makeup by @madeupbym #HaileeSteinfeld #haiz #hairinspo #igotbeachwaved #braidinspo #halfuphair #makeupbym #beachwaaver #loveher
So, we asked Potempa to recreate one of Hailee's recent red carpet hairstyles—a side-swept inverted French braid with glam waves. It's 100 percent worthy of a night out, but it also works for a casual athleisure look. (Bonus: You can easily transition to the gym by pulling it back in a ponytail, then take it down before you head to brunch.)
Here, Potempa breaks down exactly how she achieved the look.
1. Use a comb to create a clean side part.
2. Create an inverted French braid down one side of the head, starting at the root and curving down around the ear. Secure with an elastic. To create the braid: Separate the hair into three pieces and braid left under the middle, right under the middle, adding hair from the root each time.
3. Section the back of the hair with a Darby Clip, and secure a 1-inch section to the braid with a clear elastic.
4. Divide the rest of the hair into even sections with Darby Clips and curl the hair away from face using the Beachwaver S.75. Pro tip: Set the curls around the face with silver clips to make them extra bouncy and polished.
5. Let the curls cool. Then spray the On Set Styling Brush with Living Proof Flex Shaping Hair Spray. Brush out the curls to soften them and tame any flyaways.