Jacqui Stafford's 10 Body Shape Fashion Tips
Shape brings you the body shape fashion tips to help you look your slimmest and best.
Here are Jacqui's top ten slimming tips:
- Layering is still hot for fall: As the temperature dips, layer different lengths of solid colored tanks under long sleeve shirts or sweaters to elongate your silhouette. A longer length tank that hits just at the top of the hip (rather than tummy) will visually streamline you. We love Joy Li's rayon/spandex tanks with pin tuck fronts ($70.00; joyli.net)
- A bold piece of jewelry will draw the eye away from problem areas. Go for standout earrings and necklaces that draw attention to your face and decollete.
- Stripes are in for fall: Choose vertical lines that are ultimately more figure flattering than horizontal stripes.
- Invest in the proper-fitting undergarment that can easily shave pounds off - the right bra is critical. We're obsessed with Le Mystere "Francesca" Allover Lace Demi Bra that miraculously compliments everyone.
- Go for sweaters or fitted jackets that hit at hip length (or longer) to hide problem areas and avoid making the midsection look heavy.
- Wrap-style blouses or dresses in jewel tones are truly seasonless. Nipping in at the waist, they create an hourglass silhouette that translates perfectly from desk to dinner.
- When shopping for outerwear, choose a wide collared coat to deflect attention from the hip area. A gentle A-line flare is the most flattering cut for coats.
- The empire waist (when the waistline hits just below the bust line) nips in at the slimmest part of a woman's body, and the flowing fabric falls away from a heavier stomach. Look for chocolate brown, navy and crimson for this season's hottest shades.
- An extra long necklace, hitting between the belly button and the bottom of your bra will make your body appear longer and leaner, and create an overall slimmer appearance. Check out the amazing array of designs at totallyfabdesign.com.
- Chunky, cable knit sweaters are huge for fall, but steer clear of boxy shapes that do not have a defined silhouette, as these will add unwanted pounds. If you are going to wear a thicker fabric, it should have some structure.