Amaretto Cherry Ice Cream
- 1 pound dark sweet cherries, pitted
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons amaretto
- 2 tablespoons organic brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews, soaked in warm water for 1 hour
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened plain soy milk
- 2/3 cup dark sweet cherries, pitted
- 5 - 6 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dark sweet cherries, pitted and chopped (optional)
- To make the boozy cherry sauce, place cherries, 1/2 cup amaretto, and brown sugar in a small pan over medium heat and bring to a simmer, uncovered.
- Adjust the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. You want the cherries to be soft and breaking apart a bit. The sauce should coat a spoon once it has cooled slightly. Transfer the sauce to a small bowl and refrigerate.
- To make the ice cream, drain and rinse the cashews. Place the soy milk and cashews in a high-speed blender and puree until completely smooth.
- Add the rest of the ice cream ingredients to the mixture and puree until smooth; you will see specks of cherry skins, which is fine.
- Pour the base into an ice cream maker and churn for 25 minutes or until thick but not frozen solid.
- In the meantime, prepare a 9x5x 3-inch loaf pan by lining it with parchment paper. When the ice cream base is ready, take the cherry sauce out of the refrigerator.
- Begin filling the loaf pan, alternating layers of the base and the cherry sauce and making 4 layers of the base and 3 thinner layers of sauce. Drag a butter knife through the mixtures to create swirls. Place the ice cream in the freezer for 1 to 2 hours.
- When you are ready to serve, take the ice cream out and let soften for 5 to 10 minutes before scooping, if necessary. Garnish with fresh cherry pieces, if using, and serve in small bowls.
- Credit: Vegan Bowl Attack by Jackie Sobon