Avocado Veggie Panini
Packed with sauteed vegetables and avocado, this panini recipe proves vegetarian sandwiches can be just as hearty as their meat-laden deli counterparts
- 2 teaspoons butter or olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 cup sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped kale, stems removed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium avocados
- 8 pieces thick wheat bread
- 4 slices provolone or mozzarella cheese, if desired
- Heat butter or oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and saute until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and saute until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and kale, and saute until wilted and warmed through, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and season with salt.
- Mash avocado flesh in a bowl with a fork. Spread some avocado on each bread slice. Top 4 slices with vegetables and cheese. Place remaining bread on top.
- Place sandwiches in a preheated panini press or frying pan over medium high-heat. Cook about 3 minutes until bread is browned on the outside.
- Recipe provided by Lindsay Ostrom of PinchOfYum.com
Per serving: 416 kcal cal., 19 g fat (3.5 g sat. fat), 54 g carb., 15 g fiber, 15 g pro., 149 mg calcium. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet