Baked Beet Chips with Blue Cheese Dip
Purplish-blue veggies like beets, purple potatoes, eggplant, and purple cabbage can esaily lend themselves to the blue color of our American flag in a patriotic dish. Make these earthy beet chips as a colorful side to your burgers and hot dogs this July Fourth.
- 3 large beets, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 - 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 ounce crumbled blue cheese
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees F. Wash, peel, and slice beets with a mandolin.
- Arrange parchment paper over two baking sheets.
- Using a pasty brush each side of the sliced beets with olive oil.
- Arrange beets on the baking sheets (OK if touching), and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake about 30 minutes on one side, then carefully flip chips over and sprinkle with more salt, if desired. Continue to bake, checking about every 10 minutes. They should be ready to remove when the edges of the chips turn dark and dry out, and the rest of the chip turns lighter. Remove and cool on a wire rack to crisp.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, and blue cheese. Stir until well combined.
- Recipe by Patricia Conte of Grab a Plate.
Per serving: 259 kcal cal., 22 g fat (5 g sat. fat), 570 mg sodium, 2 g fiber, 8 g sugar, 4 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet