Baked Potato with Tomato-Bean Salsa
A large potato has more than three times the potassium of a large banana and contains more protein than a large egg!
- 2 large (about 12 ounces each) unpeeled russet potatoes, washed and patted
- 1 cup chopped ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and well drained
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh jalapeno, or to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 ground cumin
- 1/4 cup mashed avocado blended with 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup plain lowfat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Kosher salt to taste
- Pierce each potato several times with a fork, then place directly in microwave oven and cook approximately 10-15 minutes depending on potato size (if doing one potato it should only take about 7 minutes).
- Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, black beans, jalapeno, olive oil and lime juice in a large bowl. In a small nonstick skillet, toast the cumin at medium heat until it releases its scent, about 20 seconds. Add toasted cumin and salt to the tomato-bean mixture, stirring to blend. Set aside.
- To serve, cut potatoes in half lengthwise and fluff baked flesh with a fork. Top each half with 1/2 cup salsa, 1 tablespoon yogurt and 1 tablespoon avocado. Sprinkle with cilantro.
- Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.
Per serving: 488 kcal cal., 9 g fat (2 g sat. fat), 333 mg sodium, 17 g fiber, 8 g sugar, 16 g pro., 141 mg calcium, 5 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet