Banana Date Chia Seed Muffins
The dates, bananas, and applesauce add natural sweetness to these muffins, which clock in at slightly over 5 grams of fiber each. Serve with a glass of cold milk for a boost in calcium and protein.
- 1/2 cup pitted dates
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas
- 1/3 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 3 tablespoons natural applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg plus 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose, unbleached flour
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup poppy seeds, divided in half
- 1/2 cup chia seeds, divided in half
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Nonstick cooking spray, olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a food processor or blender, puree dates with 1/2 cup water until smooth. To date puree, add bananas, yogurt, applesauce, vanilla, egg, and egg
- In a separate large bowl, whisk flours, flaxseed, 1/4 cup poppy seeds, 1/4 cup chia seeds, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry until incorporated. Do not overmix!
- Evenly pour mixture into 12 nonstick muffin tins lightly sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup chia and 1/4 cup poppy seeds.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until golden brown and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool, then serve.
- Recipe provided by Layne Lieberman, R.D., author of Beyond The Mediterranean Diet: European Secrets Of The Super Healthy.
Per serving: 181 kcal cal., 6 g fat) (121 mg sodium, 5 g fiber, 7 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet