Barley Tabbouleh with Fresh Vegetables
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 5 cups fat-free vegetable or chicken broth, or water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 cup vine-ripened tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup cucumber, skin on, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- Black pepper, ground
- Combine barley and broth in a large saucepan. Set pan over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 45 minutes, until barley is tender.
- Drain any excess water and transfer barley to a large bowl. Add lemon juice, olive oil, and oregano. Toss to combine. Add vegetables and parsley; toss again. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm or chilled.
- Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.
Per serving: 339 kcal cal., 7 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 58 g carb., 10 g fiber, 9 g sugar, 14 g pro., 63 mg calcium, 3 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet