Beet Fusilli With Charred Spring Onions, Capers, and Feta
- 10 ounces beet fusilli (you can substitute regular pasta)
- Kosher salt
- 1 large bunch spring onions or 2 bunches scallions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons oil-packed capers (or 2 tablespoons brined capers, drained), coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest, plus more if desired
- 1 1/2 ounces feta, crumbled or sliced
- 3/4 cup fresh dill
- Cook pasta according to package directions in a large pot of salted boiling water until just al dente. Cut spring onions into 3-inch long pieces. Slice bulbs in half or quarters if large. Thinly slice about half the green parts and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bulbs and 3-inch pieces of spring onion and season with salt and pepper. Cook, without moving them much, until they're deeply browned and almost charred on one side, about 4 minutes. Toss to coat and just wilt the other side, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Add capers to the pan and toss to coat. Drain pasta, reserving about 3/4 cup cooking water. Add pasta and water to the skillet and continue to cook, tossing to coat, until a glossy sauce forms, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add lemon zest and reserved spring onion slices and toss to coat.
- Top pasta with feta, dill, and more lemon zest if desired.
Per serving: 380 kcal cal., 10 g fat (2.5 g sat. fat), 62 g carb., 5 g fiber, 13 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet