Black Bean Tostada Burgers
You can substitute a store-bought chunky salsa for the pico de gallo.
For the Pico de Gallo:
- 1 large beefsteak tomato, seeded and chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 - 2 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the Burgers:
- 1 15 1/2 ounce can low-sodium black beans
- Cooking spray
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs), preferably whole-wheat
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 small (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1 large California avocado, peeled and sliced
To make pico de gallo:
- Combine tomato, onion, jalapenos, lime juice, olive oil, cilantro, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir, cover, and set aside at room temperature for up to 30 minutes, or refrigerate for up to 3 hours to allow flavors to blend.
To make the burgers:
- Rinse black beans in a colander and set aside. Meanwhile, coat a medium skillet with cooking spray and heat to medium-low. Add red onion and cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes, or until soft. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes more. In a large bowl, combine black beans, onion mixture, panko, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper. Mash, allowing some chunks to remain.
- Form bean mixture into four patties about 3 inches wide and half an inch thick. Divide tortillas into two stacks of four and wrap each stack loosely with foil. Place burgers and tortilla packets on a lightly oiled grill and cook for 4 minutes. Flip burgers and packets and cook for 3 minutes more, or until burgers are lightly browned.
- To serve, arrange two tortillas on each of four plates. Top with a burger, salsa, and avocado slices and serve.
- Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.
Per serving: 385 kcal cal., 11 g fat (2 g sat. fat), 61 g carb., 17 g fiber, 3 g sugar, 15 g pro., 105 mg calcium, 4 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet