Blueberry-Orange Spiced Preserves
Beautiful and bursting with flavor, organic blueberries are perfect to preserve year-round. With a touch of orange and some warming spices, this spread makes a great gift for any occasion and keeps well for up to six months.
- 6 - 8 cloves
- 4 - 5 star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 bags frozen organic blueberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 orange rind, cut into large pieces
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- Bundle cloves, star anise, and cinnamon into a cheesecloth sachet or tea steeper. In a large stockpot over medium-low heat, combine blueberries, sugar, orange rind, water, orange juice, and spice sachet. Stirring frequently, cook for 1 hour until preserves have a jam-like consistency.
- Remove from heat to cool. Remove sachet. Place preserves into mason jars. Twist tops on tightly. Gently place jars in a large stockpot of boiling water. Make sure jars are fully submerged. Let sit in simmering water for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove jars, and set aside to cool and set. You will hear a pop noise when jars are sealed. Allow jars to set for 24 hours before opening.
- Recipe provided by Cascadian Farm
Per serving: 61 kcal cal., 0 g fat (0 g sat. fat), 15 g carb., 1 g fiber, 13 g sugar, 0 g pro., 2.5 mg calcium, 0 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet