Braised Brussels Sprouts in Mustard Sauce
- 1 pound brussels sprouts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup minced shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/3 cup water, divided
- 1/4 cup mustard
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cut off the base of a sprout with a sharp knife. Slice a piece from one side of the sprout. Place it cut side down and cut it crosswise into about 5 slices. Repeat with all the sprouts.
- Heat a large, heavy skillet over medium for 1 minute. Add olive oil and swirl to coat skillet. Add shallots; saute for 2 minutes.
- Stir in sprouts, salt (if using), and 3 tablespoons water; spread everything evenly across the pan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine mustard, brown sugar, and remaining water in a small bowl; stir until blended. Once sprouts have cooked for 5 minutes, pour mustard mixture over them and stir. Reduce heat to low, cover, cook for 3 minutes, then stir. Remove from heat or, if you prefer, cook for 5 minutes more the sprouts will get browner and more intensely flavored.
- Serve hot or warm with black pepper.
Per serving: 124 kcal cal., 4 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 499 mg sodium, 5 g fiber, 9 g sugar, 5 g pro., 67 mg calcium, 2 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet