Bread Bowl Veggie Chili with Sweet Potatoes, Cheddar, Zucchini and Chickpeas
- 1 zucchini
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 red onion
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chili spice mix
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable stock concentrate
- 2 bowl-sized breads
- 2 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil. Thoroughly rinse produce and pat dry. Cut zucchini into a medium dice. Peel and cut sweet potato into a medium dice. Peel and cut red onion into a small dice. Drain and rinse chickpeas.
- In a medium pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add red onion (reserving some for garnish) and sweet potato. Cook for about 5 minutes. Add diced tomato, garbanzo beans, chili seasoning, 1 1/2 cups of water, tomato paste, and vegetable base to the pot. Bring to a boil. Once boiling reduce to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes. Add zucchini and cook for an additional 2 minutes then season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Prepare the bread bowls. Carefully cut openings into the tops of the round bread loaves and use your fingers to pull the insides of the round loaf out to create a bowl (make sure the walls are still thick enough to prevent leakage!) Place bread bowls onto prepared baking sheet, then place in oven and bake for about 5 minutes.
- Divide chili between bread bowls, then garnish each with remaining red onion, shredded cheddar cheese, and sour cream.
- Recipe provided by Home Chef.
- Photo credit: Home Chef