Bulgur and Pine Nut Pilaf
Sauteing the uncooked bulgur and pine nuts in oil before adding the water will give this dish a deeper, toastier flavor. This keeps for up to a week if stored in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator. It reheats easily in a microwave.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon tablespoon freshly lemon juice
- 1 pinch of salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh dill
- 1 - 2 tablespoons finely minced chives or scallion
- 1 tablespoon currants (optional)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium skillet with a tight-fitting lid. Add the uncooked bulgur and the pine nuts, and saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until it gives off a toasty smell. Keep stirring during this process to be sure it doesn't burn. Pour in the boiling water and place the lid on the pan. Remove from heat and let stand 30 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil and lemon juice, and add little salt to taste. Stir in dill, chives or scallions, and currants, if using. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Recipe courtesy of Mollie Katzen and Walter Willett. M.D.
Per serving: 368 kcal cal., 26 g fat (3 g sat. fat), 444 mg sodium, 7 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 7 g pro., 22 mg calcium, 2 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet