Butternut Squash Lasagna
Make this tasty butternut squash lasagna for your next dinner party. You'll be sure to impress your guests with this healthy pasta dish - plus it's an easy lasagna to make ahead!
- 1 1/2 pounds peeled, seeded butternut squash, buttercup squash, or kabocha squash
- 3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups lacinato (or regular) kale, rinsed and cut into ribbons
- 2 tablespoons sliced fresh basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 350F. Cut butternut squash (or other squash) into thin slices and place on baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil and a pinch of salt and pepper; toss to coat. Arrange in an even layer on baking sheet; roast for 30 minutes or until butternut squash has softened. Remove squash from oven (keep oven on).
- While butternut squash roasts, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add lasagna noodles and cook for 7 minutes or until al dente. Drain and rinse under cold water to prevent sticking. In a medium skillet, heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil over medium-high. Add garlic; saute 2 minutes. Stir in kale and 1 tablespoon basil. Add cup water to skillet and cover; cook 5 minutes. Remove cover, reduce heat to low; cook 3 minutes more. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium saucepan, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high. Add flour; whisk 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk and a pinch of salt; bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Continue whisking for 2 more minutes or until white sauce thickens. Remove from heat. Stir ricotta into kale. Add egg and oregano; stir. Season with salt and pepper.
- Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Spread 2/3 cup of sauce over bottom. Arrange a layer of lasagna noodles over sauce. Gently spread half the ricotta mixture over noodles; top with roasted butternut squash. Sprinkle half the mozzarella over squash. Top with remaining ricotta, followed by lasagna noodles. Top with remaining sauce, basil, and mozzarella. Coat a sheet of aluminum foil with cooking spray. Tent foil, sprayed side down, over lasagna.
- Bake 25 minutes. Remove foil; bake 15 more minutes to brown cheese slightly. Let butternut squash lasagna rest for about 5 minutes before cutting.
- Recipe courtesy of Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health in Stockbridge, MA.
- Nutritional information includes 1/2 teaspoon of added salt.
Per serving: 391 kcal cal., 16 g fat (6 g sat. fat), 407 mg sodium, 3 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 21 g pro., 505 mg calcium, 3 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet