Calabacitas Veggie Tacos
- 2 poblano chili peppers
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, plus more for serving
- Kosher salt
- 1 avocado
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 cup salsa, plus more for serving
- 12 ounces queso fresco, plus more for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Cilantro, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees . Rub poblanos with 1 teaspoon olive oil and place on a baking sheet; roast until charred on all sides, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer peppers to a bowl, cover, and set aside for 15 minutes. Then peel peppers, slice down the middle, remove seeds, and dice.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add squash, stir, and saute until fork-tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until translucent. Add squash and poblanos and saute until tender. Stir in corn, beans, and hot sauce and cook until heated through. Season with salt to taste.
- Preheat a grill or a grill plan. Cut avocado in half and remove pit. Place flesh side down until grill marks form, 2 to 3 minutes. Scoop avocado out of peel and cut each half crosswise into 6 slices.
- Fill tortillas with squash mixture and top with salsa, queso fresco, avocado, and more hot sauce. Serve with lime wedges, cilantro, and additional salsa and cheese.
- Courtesy of Chef Ivy Stark, Dos Caminos, New York City