Caramelized Onion and Grapefruit Salad
Try this delicious salad, perfect for any season!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vineger
- 2 pink grapefruits
- 1 head romaine, thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium. Add onions and balsamic vinegar and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, assemble the salad. Peel and trim ends from grapefruits. Using a paring knife, cut along the membrane on both sides of each segment. Free segments and place in a large salad bowl. Add romaine, fennel, cucumber, scallions and thyme. Whisk together red wine vinegar, lemon juice, and honey. Slowly whisk in oil. Season with salt and pepper. Pour dressing over salad and toss until coated. Arrange caramelized onions on top and serve.
- Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.
Per serving: 236 kcal cal., 16 g fat (2 g sat. fat), 23 g carb., 6 g fiber, 11 g sugar, 3 g pro., 96 mg calcium, 2 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet