Carmelized Onion and Spinach Bites
Serve this savory low-carb appetizer at your holiday gatherings.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Vidalia or other sweet onions (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled, cut lengthwise into quarters, and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 clove garlic, finley chopped
- 12 ounces frozen leaf spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 2 ounces Parmesan, finely grated
- Cooking spray
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and salt. Cook, stirring often, until golden, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, stir in walnuts, and continue cooking until mixture is a deep golden brown, about 5 minutes more. Stir in garlic and cook 30 seconds. Stir in spinach and cook, breaking up clumps with a fork, about 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to a bowl and cool to room temperature. Stir in nutmeg, pepper, egg, and all but 3 tablespoons of cheese.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat two mini muffin pans with cooking spray. Divide spinach mixture among the tart pans, about 1 rounded tablespoon each. Tuck in any loose bits that stick up and sprinkle tops with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are set. Remove from pans, place on a plate, and serve warm or at room temperature.
- Recipe courtesy of Gabrielle Revere.
Per serving: 46 kcal cal., 3 g fat) (3 g carb., 2 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet