Carrot, Chickpea, and Barley Soup
One filling bowl has all of the vitamin A you need in a day.
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup carrot juice
- 1/4 cup barley, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 4 small whole-grain rolls (optional)
- In a medium saucepan combine broth, carrot juice, barley, and chickpeas. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 30 minutes. Add carrots and return to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and continue to simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Using a slotted spoon, remove about 1 1/2 cups of solids and place in a medium bowl. Mash with a fork. (Or use a hand-immersion blender and pulse 3 seconds.) Return mashed vegetables to saucepan. Stir in vinegar, pepper, and parsley. Divide the soup among 4 bowls. Top with grated Parmesan, and serve with warm whole-grain rolls if desired.
- Nutritional information does not include option whole-grain rolls.
Per serving: 191 kcal cal., 2 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 698 mg sodium, 7 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 9 g pro., 105 mg calcium, 2 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet