Cashew, Tofu, Carrot, and Snow Pea Stir-Fry
The variety of colors, tastes, and textures in every bite of this vegan meal makes it super satisfying.
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon cornstarch, divided
- 1 pound extra-firm tofu, chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar (or sweetener of choice)
- 1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed or canola oil, divided
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound carrots, thinly chopped
- 1/2 pound snow peas, ends trimmed
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup roasted cashews
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- Toss tofu with 1/2 cup cornstarch and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Make sauce by mixing remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, tomato paste, and chicken stock.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil and tofu, and saute tofu until golden, about 2 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining oil to the pan. Add garlic, onion, and 1 dash salt, and saute onions until softened, about 2 minutes. Add carrots and 1 dash salt, and stir-fry 4 minutes. Add snow peas and stir. Return tofu to wok, and push all ingredients to the side of pan to form a donut in the middle. Stir sauce in case cornstarch has sunk to the bottom. Pour into the center of the pan, and cook for 1 minute until darkened and bubbling. Toss everything to coat and cook an additional 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice and cashews. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper, if desired. Serve topped with green onions.
- Recipe provided by CookSmarts.com
Per serving: 367 kcal cal., 17 g fat (2 g sat. fat), 39 g carb., 6 g fiber, 16 g pro., 164 mg calcium, 4 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet