Cauliflower, Broccoli, and Pepita Salad
Anyone who thinks salads are boring needs to try this explosion of tastes and textures. It's crisp (broccoli and cauliflower), crunchy and nutty (pepitas and sesame seeds), spicy (jalapeno), and soft and sweet (dates). Add it all up, and you've got amazingness.
- 1 cup raw pepitas
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 3 - 4 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 medium head cauliflower, sliced in a food processor
- 1 medium head broccoli, sliced in a food processor
- 1 bunch (about 6 stalks) scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted if desired
- 1 jalapeno, minced (or other chili pepper)
- 2 - 3 Medjool dates, finely diced (or other dried fruit)
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spread pepitas on a sheet pan and toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 pinch salt. Spread out and toast 7 to 10 minutes until starting to pop. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Place onion in a small bowl and add 3 tablespoons vinegar and 1 pinch salt. Set aside.
- Place cauliflower and broccoli in large bowl. Add scallions, sesame seeds, jalapeno, dates, pepitas, onions (with vinegar), and remaining 1/3 cup olive oil. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Toss well and taste. Add red pepper flakes and more salt, olive oil, and vinegar, if desired.
- Recipe provided by AlexandraCooks.com
Per serving: 309 kcal cal., 20 g fat (3 g sat. fat), 29 g carb., 9 g fiber, 9 g pro., 160 mg calcium, 3 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet