Celery and Hazelnut Toast with Pecorino and Chili
Fancy toast gets a celery slant at The Gander in New York City. Chef Jesse Schenker pairs it with hazelnuts, cheese, and chili flakes for a spicy-savory taste.
- 1 baguette, sliced lengthwise
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 stalk celery, peeled and diced (reserve leaves)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons toasted and chopped hazelnuts
- Pecorino cheese
- Chili flakes
- Preheat broiler. Drizzle baguette with 3 tablespoons of the oil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Broil bread until golden brown.
- In a medium bowl, combine celery, lemon, hazelnuts, chili flakes to taste, grated Pecorino to taste, remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Top baguette with celery salad and shaved cheese and serve.
- Recipe provided by Jesse Schenker of The Gander