Chai Oatmeal Recipe
This Chai oatmeal recipe is a new twist on an old breakfast staple and you can customize it for your taste buds. You can also count on Shape.com for the healthy breakfast ideas - and nutrition facts - that you need.
- 1 1/2 cups lowfat or nonfat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- A pinch of saffron (optional)
- A drop of vanilla (optional)
- 2 teaspoons light honey
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons oat bran
- Pour the milk into a medium-sized saucepan. Add all the dry seasonings (salt through saffron, if using), and whisk to blend. Place the pan over medium heat. Just before the seasoned milk comes to a boil, lower the heat, and let it simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir in the vanilla (if using) and honey, and whisk until the honey dissolves. Sprinkle in the oats and oat bran, and stir once or twice. Cover the pan, and leave it over low heat for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. When the oatmeal has thickened to your liking, remove from heat. Serve the oatmeal with any of the following toppings, or a combination: raisins, pistachio nuts, chopped almonds, and yogurt.
Per serving: 329 kcal cal., 5 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 370 mg sodium, 8 g fiber, 15 g sugar, 17 g pro., 266 mg calcium, 3 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet