Cherry-Almond Baked Oatmeal
If we've heard it once, we've heard it a million times: Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It can also be the most delicious. Take this recipe for cherry-almond baked oatmeal. Assembled in one bowl, it can be prepped right before baking or the night before to save time in the morning. No matter when you prepare it, we guarantee this delicious dish will earn a spot on your regular breakfast rotation.
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8-inch square casserole dish (or an 8-inch-long oval casserole dish) with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, mix the oats with the brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, almonds and cherries. Make a well in the center.
- Pour the milk, egg and vanilla into the center and then mix to combine. Pour the whole thing into the prepared casserole dish and dot the surface with the butter. (The oatmeal can be made through this step and held in the refrigerator overnight.)
- Bake until the oatmeal has absorbed all the liquid and the top is golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve warm.
- This recipe originally appeared as Cherry-Almond Baked Oatmeal on PureWow